Sunday, May 10, 2009

first day off

I think I really like pocatello, idaho. We drove 10 hours from tom's place north of paxton through wyoming and into idaho. Lucas or kenny are typically the starters, while I take middle relief(for the record those 5 hour energy shots really work, cause my 5 hour shift into pocatello was a breeze).
The venue was the 1st national bar; it was the night of isu's graduation, which must have been a small class cause I only saw one graduate(better luck next year guys). We were riding a bit of a high cause we learned on the ride up that we won 6 madison area music awards, including artist of the year. The show was great although kennys been sick with a cold. Even though we quarantined him I think I'm coming down with it. The pocatello crowd was super responsive and ready to dance. They liked to drink, not gonna lie, but nobody was disrespectful to anybody else whatsoever. The highlight of the night was Brett who came up to jam on his blues harp during Cougarville. It was awesome! He was a great player and added that extra cherry in what was already a great old fashioned pocatello expirence(did anyone catch that pun? I was pretty proud of that).
Today was sunday, our first day off and a day of relaxation; well,pseudo-relaxation. We've been staying with jesse(a college friend of john cates) and lee(jesse's girlfriend). They have been so kind to us and today lee took me on my first real mountain biking adventure. The pics are at my facebook page if you want to see the views. This was serious riding! Like, the bike had shocks all over the place and the terrain was everything from straight rock to dirt to logs. I managed to nail myself in the stones a coule of times while flying over some unexpexted rocks and roots...fun. We were out for about three hours and clame close to the snow. I compare it to skiing with a bike. The best part came at the end of the ride when we stopped by a friends place for his microbrewed stout...mmmm delicious. "Forgiveness appeared in the form of a beer" -Jake Freide
The only solution for rubber legs is driving 20 minutes south to the town of Lava where they have public hot springs. The minerals in the water are good for you,apparently and native americans used to frequent the springs before white settlers fucked it up for them. The coldest pool was a mild 105 degrees. The hottest pool was about 115, I think. It was like a bunch of humans sitting in a crockpot slowcooking all of life's problems away. There's an image for you. Tomarrow is Lucas's birthday so we're going camping at craters of the moon national park. It's a desolate million acres of volcanic formations, ash, and ancient lava flows where nothing grows and the lucas cates band will finish a birthday bottle of jame-o while sitting around a campfire...I'll tell you all about it...in a bit. Bye!

No comments: